The cost to upgrade the electrical panel in your home will vary based on many factors, including the age of the home and its size. Yet, if your home needs this type of upgrade and replacement, it is always best to ensure it is done rather than putting it off. Repairs to this panel can impact the rest of your electrical system and, in the long term, it is necessary to keep your home safe from electrical fires and overloads.
What Can You Expect as the Cost to Upgrade the Electrical Panel?
While each home is different in terms of cost, you can expect the average home to spend between $1300 and $3000 to make this change. The electrical panel for your home controls how electricity moves through it. Over time, they can wear down and accidents can damage these panels and connections as well. You may see the costs are much lower if you simply need to repair the panel, but this will depend on the type of repairs necessary.
Why Should You Upgrade the Electrical Panel?
Repairs are necessary and acceptable in many situations. However, there are numerous reasons it may be better for you to upgrade the electrical panel instead of repairing it. Some reasons to replace it may include:
• Your power requirements are increasing. This is common today as more people are using more electronics and technology within homes. This may mean you simply need a more powerful system.
• Safety hazards exist. In some situations, your electrical panel may need upgrading simply because there are safety risks associated with it. This includes fires, smoking, and signs of damage to breakers or fuses.
• There’s a presence of heat in the walls. If you touch the wall near any outlet, the presence of heat may indicate a high risk of fires. This could mean the outlet is bad, or it could mean your breaker system isn’t preventing an overload.
• Irregular electric behavior is present. This may worsen over time. Generally, if an outlet isn’t to blame, the electrical panels may be.
• Repairs are not possible. Whenever a problem exists, the cost to upgrade the electrical panel is worthwhile. It adds value to your home and gives you confidence that your home is up to date.
How to Learn the Cost to Upgrade the Electrical Panel
If your home is in need of a new electrical panel or you think this may be necessary, work with a licensed electrician. Don’t try to do this yourself. The risks of injury are high, but the risks of mistakes that lead to hidden fires later are even more significant. With the help of an electrician, you can safeguard your home.
When you work with our team at Bryan Electric, Inc., you’ll get the help you need in estimating the cost to upgrade the electrical panel and other systems. Contact us for a quote.